Get your feet summer-ready with Golden Foot Spa–a luscious make-your-own footcare regimen from my buddy Donna Maria Coles Johnson at Make Your Own Cosmetics.
Golden Foot Spa contains everything you need to give yourself a pedicure and get those tootsies in shape for summer! Soften your skin naturally with fresh milk and use Dead Sea Salts to slough dead skin and invigorate. Lemon awakens your senses and provides aromatherapy benefits to boot!
1/2 gallon whole milk
1 handful calendula flowers (dried or fresh)
1 drop lemon essential oil
2 cups Dead Sea Salts
1/2 cup sweet almond oil
1 bag marbles
1. Warm the milk over a low flame in a large soup pot. Do not microwave and be sure not to scald the milk. It should be sufficiently warm in about 15 minutes. Toss in the calendula petals (to make the milk golden in color!) and stir to wet them. While the milk is warming, prepare the salt scrub. (The extremely busy woman can dispense with warming the milk and the calendula. Just let the milk come to room temperature and use it that way. It won”t be warm or “golden,” but it will still make a good foot soak!)
2. Make the salt scrub by combining the Dead Sea Salts and almond oil in a large plastic bowl. Stir well. Add essential oil and stir again.
3. Remove the milk from heat. Pour it into a large dish pan or any plastic container large enough for both of your feet. Pour in the marbles. If you’re not doing this treatment in the bathroom (which is the best place; I’ve done it in front of the boob tube in the family room while watching Oprah), spread a large beach towel so that when the salt flies a bit during scrubbing, it lands on the towel and not in your carpet.
4. If you’re in the tub, sit in it dry and put the container of warm calendula milk in a position where it’s comfortable to dunk your feet in and exercise your toes by picking up the marbles. Soak to soften the skin for 10 minutes.
5. Scoop up a handful of the lemon scented Dead Sea Salts/almond oil mixture and begin scrubbing your lower legs and feet. If possible, do the scrubbing over the milk so any unused salt falls into it. This feels so good that if you have the space (the tub is best), you can scrub your knees and elbows and anything else dry!
6. Dunk your feet back into the milk mixture and rinse everything you scrubbed, including legs, etc. Soak for 5 more minutes. This second soak further softens skin (now that the dead layers have been removed!), plus gives your feet the added benefit of the melted Dead Sea Salt.
7. If you made a mess in the tub, that’s OK because now you can just bathe it away. (If you made a mess in your living room, well, you should have foreseen that so just get out the vacume cleaner!) Pat your skin dry and apply a creamy foot cream. If you have time, file your nails, push back your cuticles and use a nail brush to thoroughly clean them. If you decide to apply polish, remember to remove the cream from your nails first so the polish adheres better. Most any product designed as a facial toner can do this adequately, or you can use witch hazel. Enjoy!!
Copyright 2010 for Golden Foot Spa by Donna Maria Coles Johnson & Affiliates. All rights reserved.